Friday, October 10, 2008

Is Engagement Increased due to Mrs. Terry's Excitement or the New Method of Introduction?

We completed our Sharing Stories unit and I could not be happier with the outcome. Students did extremely well on the six-week assessment that we are required to administer.  The vocabulary scores were higher than in years past, as was the grammar, usage, and mechanics section of the assessment.  I believe that introducing skills and vocabulary in context has made a huge difference.  

Student interest and engagement has increased and now I wonder if it was because of me or the manner in which the material was presented.  I have taught these same stories and essentially the same lessons for six years straight.  Has the increased interest/engagement been brought about by my excitement of the new practices, or are the new practices so extremely engaging that students are actively involved?  I hope both.  I admit the changes have been a positive change in my instructional practices.  That is a good thing!  Reading the authentic text has brought so much newness to me---- I love it!

We will begin our Kindness unit next week and I have purchased all of the authentic pieces for that unit as well.  I will continue my new practices for the next seven weeks and hopefully will experience the same excitement and engagement of the children.


1 comment:

Fergusons said...

I myself struggle with this same question in my own head. I wonder if we all do in this program. The problem therein lies with the fact that there is no real sure way for us to determine that, because we aren't big time researchers conducting research over the course of years. We are doing what we can in our classroom in a very short time period. So that all means to me that we do the best we can and in the long run what really matters is that we are better teachers and our students' knowledge increased. You are right though Theresa it probably is a combo of both. Keep on keepin on =)

Dedication

Dedication